Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

How to Lick a Slug (and Love the Outdoors)

Nicholas Kristof's article, How to Lick a Slug is a fabulous look at social change around the outdoors in the United States. It makes me both sad, but thankful that both husband and I grew up with a chance to really love and engage in the wonder of natural places.

Whether it is the Boundary Waters, the Quetico Wilderness, the Lake Superior Hiking Trail, the Waimea Canyon in Kauai, Rocky Mountain National Park, the Muir Woods, Acadia National Park, the Blue Ridge Mountains or Skiing in Lake Tahoe, I am drawn to the power of the outdoors. Thanks to the appreciation that was fostered in me from the beginning, I never feel quite so happy as I do when I am exploring or just drinking it in. (Thanks, Parents!) I hope that there is a resurgence of this feeling in this country, or as Kristof so defly points out, these areas will not be around in their natural splendor forever.

I feel proud that husband and I are already doing our part to make sure Benji appreciates the incredible joy that can be found as soon as he leaves the indoors, and all electrical outlets, behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home