Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, April 30, 2007

Oh, the possibilities of another spring...

There is something about spring that surprises me every year right around April when the weather turns: life gets really busy with stuff-tons of, well, just things to do and events. School is always busy then, but it is more than that. All of a sudden whole weekends are planned out. The calendar is packed to the gills. There seem to be more discussions about when we are going to do this and that, and how are we going to fit that in. Here are a few of my theories why:

a) Theory #1: Outside is suddenly a much more happy place to be. There are new sports starting, yard work, projects. This weekend we rebuilt our deck. It is by no means complete, but considering that husband destructed it all by himself starting Saturday morning- it is amazing that with a little help from some friends (especially slummy as gay, German carpenter in special get-up) that all the new planks are down.

I also spent some time running with LLC this weekend. We are doing a 5k next weekend and have been practicing. I have enjoyed this, although I am not sold yet on the race idea. I will let you know after I do it.

b) Theory #2: Summer in Minnesota has a pre-party, everyone is just so excited that the festivities start early. We went to a friend's birthday party on Friday night that included an outdoor hot tub, lawn games(ones, I had never seen before-intriguing) and a bbq. I almost couldn't believe it wasn't summer. It was a really fun party- especially because all our social circles came together or at least the world seemed very small. I had some level of connection to almost everyone there: I had worked with them in Nfld, they were a friend of a friend, we had played on frisbee teams together. I was really fun and it almost made me want to draw a map of all the ways our friends are becoming intricately connected. I also learned a lot about adventure racing-crazy, but interesting.

We also had a fire in our backyard Saturday night in our fire pit. Felt summer evening-esque.

c) Theory #3: The sun is strong enough to wake everyone up. Everyone starts moving faster and planning more things. People are done hibernating for the winter. Carb-loading is over for now. The solar panels start heating up. It is now really fun to go out to dinner and find a nice patio to sit on, it is fun to think of new places to go, new exciting things to do. There is more day light making it seem like there is so much more time.


d)Theory #4: Animal instincts. Dating couples are cute. Then come the weddings- a big weekend buster in the summer. Babies are also cute. Glad to be done with this one this year, but you can't deny the babies and the weddings bring lots of get togethers.

I really like this time of year- what ever it is, I like the energy and all the newness. It is always so fun to think of the possibilities. Happy spring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home