Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Thanks for the Reminder

I teach in a high school that is part of one of the wealthiest areas of the state. I deal with the entitlement, the whining, and the snobbishness with a mixture of humor, wit, and intentional deafness, usually.

The only time I have trouble is when the episodes are really close together, like once a day for a week. That is when I start taking them to heart-the rate at which they roll off slows a bit and I am again reminded to take a deep breath before responding...

Here are a few examples from this week inside the bubble:

  • I post all notes (ppts, outlines) that we take on class on the web daily. That way students can focus on listening and only writing down important ideas while in class. Yesterday I got an email request stating that "Chapter 16 notes, in outline form, are much more convenient, could you please reformat chapter 14 and 15 notes so that they are in outline form, so it is easier for me to print them out?" (in my head: I'll get right on it, anything you need, boss?)
  • In class I was asked if that instead of everyone filling out their own chart with Supreme Court cases (about 25) on it, they could just all email information for one case to me, I could compile it for them and give them a copy. "It would just be much easier." (in my head:Yeah, no shit it would be easier, but would you learn anything, honey?)
  • Today, as we were talking about Pearl Harbor, I told the kids that there was a great documentary on it, with primary sources on the attack, but that our school had stopped buying movies and were asking us rather to use the online movie database that didn't have that particular movie. One of my students blurts out, "Why don't you just buy it with your own money then?" (in my head: maybe if I got paid for the 20+hours I work a week that the district doesn't pay me for, that allows you to make up tests, have review sessions, get one on one help from me, and grade grub, I would be able to afford to drop $100 on a movie for my classroom... but until then why don't you buy it for me, @$Y#@I?)
So, I think what is so hard about these comments, is not the complete and utter lack of awareness on the students' part, but rather the realization that I haven't taught them as much as I would have hoped about integrity, humility, or a willingness to work hard this year. Husband reminds me that I can't hope to override all the other influences they encounter, but it is still disappointing.

The other thing I have to remember is that not all my students are like this. I really, really like a lot of my students- they are awesome and I look forward to seeing them most days. Plus, I shouldn't forget I do see eyes rolling and head shaking when these comments are thrown out in class-the kids aren't totally oblivious. Not everyone thinks they are the absolute center of the universe; there are just a few "special" ones- and I guess that never really changes no matter how old you are.

So onward: serve them with a smile, and then get the hell out of there, and thank your lucky stars you a) are no longer a teenager in high school b) don't see yourself as the center of the universe, and c) you know the meaning of hard work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home