Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Alexander and the No Good, Very Bad Day

Last Friday was the first time in a long time that I thought about a favorite book from childhood: Alexander and the No Good, Very Bad Day. The reason? Husband and I were both LIVING a No Good, Very Bad Day.

Friday began with an angry conversation with an insurance agent. It seemed like a good idea at the time: to let our insurance company handle getting money from the guy who pulled out head on at me in the alley. Why spend the time arguing with his insurance company, when that is what we pay ours for? Unless they don't do anything about it. On Friday we found out that they had not done a thing yet, even though they had already paid out for the repairs. That set off a series of time-consuming and frustrating phone calls.

As I was standing in the dining room talking to insurance people on the phone, (thinking that I needed to clean the house on top of making soup and bread for guests on Friday night), I found a flea dying on the dining room table where one of the cats had just been. Once I got done with the insurance company, I quickly called the vet to make sure they are open so I could get a new dose of Frontline (flea treatment) for the cats.

In the garage, on my way to the vet's, I heard a crunching sound as I stepped on black plastic. I was confused by what it was, and just kicked it over to the side of the garage for Jff to look at later. Then I sat down in the car, only to realize that the console is empty... there was a hole... in the console...what? Oh, yeah, this is what it looks it when a car stereo is stolen...

Our garage had been broken into. Only Jff's car was there and unlocked, so they stole the stereo and hacked up the plastic console in the process. They stole a few tools and a saw, and then took all the change from the car's change dish. They left behind both of our bikes and our cross country skis, luckily.

After the police made their visit to my garage and harassed me about our bikes not being registered with the city, I head back into the house to try and get several hours worth of stuff done in about two. It almost works, the soup gets done, the bread is baking. The problem? I have no time to take a shower. So I try and do what I can with dirty hair before the doorbell rings.

I am relieved when I hear Jff's key in the lock, but less relieved when he tells me that he thinks he just lots his glasses running for the train. (These are the glasses he can't do much without, doesn't have a replacement for, and were really pricey frames). So instead of having dinner with our arriving guests, he leaves to go find his glasses along his transit route. No dice.

I ended the day feeling like I wasn't sure what was next... What other property could be damaged, destroyed, invaded by pests, or lost? Luckily, nothing else happened, and I was not mugged the next time I left the house. The glasses haven't turned up, but we did make some headway with the insurance company and the fleas. So life is looking up for all involved: Nora, Leo, Husband, myself, and Alexander.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home