Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Free 'Party' Dress to Good Home

In my head, I said to myself, "Oh, I forgot about this," as I opened the last unpacked cabinet at school. "What am I going to do with the old prom dress?"

It seems very fitting that my favorite prop as a high school teacher is an old prom dress.

This isn't just any prom dress either, it is:
-seafoam green
-metallic
-fitted with a huge bow on the back
-complete with large amounts of tool in a puffy short skirt
-has a sleeveless scallopped top

So, in other words, this dress is circa 1986. I found it in the lost and found several years ago at school. (Oops! I lost my prom dress). It is the same sort of fancy relec as the powder blue tux that slummy is known to wear to various weddings.

This dress just stays at school and when things get especially dry in history class, or if there is a lot of gossiping about prom going on, I will just slip into the seafoam monster and teach with it on for a while. It is perfect: it is loud, crunchy, ugly as hell, and doesn't zip all the way up. It also looks fantastic over other clothes.

The best part about the dress: it drives the kids nuts. "Was that your prom dress?" or incredulously, "Where did you get that dress?". My all-time favorite was when I was demonstrating the dress for the students and I tripped over and fell into the recycling container. Student still talk about that ALL the TIME.

So what am I to do with the prom dress? Could I ever go back to high school teaching without it? How would I make fun of prom, myself, and the 1980's all at the same time? More importantly, what would I do with it in the meantime?

Party dress, anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home