Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Best Room in the House...

It is time for a confession: I love bathrooms. I always have. When I dream of a new house, I mostly think of the bathroom. Why? I can't really explain. I like the products, all in small containers, the different shampoos, the nice showers you can take... Baths, too. The warmth of that room in the winter...

According to my mom, this has been a life-long fascination. I was toilet trained at an unprecedented early age and would apparently go and often sit on the kiddy toilet sometimes just for fun. I LOVED flushing, too, I guess

My mom also tells the story of when I was about three and we were shopping for a new house that I would make a bee-line for the bathroom in every house we looked at. According to her, I would check out how the toilet flushed, I would test the water in the sink, I would inspect the shower and any closets or small places. I would then give a full report of whether or not we should buy the house.

While I was in high school I would spend a lot of time in the bathroom, just hanging out... I have to admit, though, when I went to college, the communal sort of arrangement changed my opinion of bathrooms for a while. I hated waiting in line for the shower in the morning and hated wearing my shoes in the shower all the time. Many of the bathrooms we had in the flats I shared with roommates in college-town were pretty bad, also. Dirty, stained bathtubs were the worst.

So when I was buying a house, I was serious about finding a good bathroom. The one I ended up with had a few updates that needed to be made, and could have been a little bigger, but over all I like the color of the vintage tile and the pedestal sink. Now there are a lot of fun times logged in the bathroom with husband, sounds bad, I know, but we always do a lot of giggling and goofing around as we get ready for bed or get ready in the morning.

When I think of my next house, I think of the bathroom... I dream of nice lighting, cool faucets (like the ones at Uncle Mark's where the water flows over the open top of the faucet), nice tiling, and a shower area with nice lighting and stone walls (Like the one at tacohead's family cabin) and several different shower heads.

I think there is a lot you can tell about people from their bathrooms... Is it clean? Is it warm? Do they use their space pratically? Is it luxurious? What products do they use, what soap do they have on their sink? All very important considerations, that I am sure most people don't even notice.

So next time you are out and about, shopping for houses, visiting friends, staying with relatives, pay special attention... It is a pretty nice, cool room that we all have at least one of. How do you use yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home